How to get married at St Alfege Church
Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage. If you live in the parish of St Alfege, have a close pastoral connection with this church, or regularly attend services here then do please make contact with us about the service of Marriage.
You can find out which is your local parish church at A Church Near You
. Our parish boundaries are Deptford Creek, Norman Road, Greenwich High Road, Blackheath Road, Blackheath Hill and Shooters Hill Road, Maze Hill, Hoskins Street and the River Thames. Download map showing parish boundaries (.pdf, 105kb).
The guidelines set by the Church of England state that a couple may be married in a particular church if they can show one of the following seven connections to it.
That one of you:
• was baptized in the parish or
• was prepared for confirmation in the parish or
• has at any time lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or
• has at any time regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least six months and is on the electoral roll*
That one of your parents, at any time after you were born:
• Has lived in the parish for a period of at least six months or
• Has regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least six months and is on the electoral roll*
That one of your parents or grandparents:
• was married in the parish.
*The electoral roll is our membership list and is made up of those who worship here regularly. People can join the electoral roll once they have attended St Alfege’s regularly for six months, and if they intend to continue doing so.
Booking your wedding or marriage blessing
Initial enquiries can be made to the church office, 020 8853 0687 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Otherwise, the clergy are available during vestry hour, each Saturday, between 10am to11am. Please come and meet us.
What to bring with you
• Proof of ID - a passport or driving licence
• Proof of address- driving licence or recent utility bill
• Any specific documents required - your decree absolute if you have been divorced or your marriage certificate if you would like a Wedding Blessing.
• To secure the booking, we require a deposit of £100 (non-returnable in the case of cancellation).
If you require an organist and/or choir please make an appointment with Stephen Dagg, Director of Music, to discuss the musical aspect of your wedding. Meetings can take place on Sundays, 11.15am or 12.30pm. Please arrange a date and time by contacting the church administrator directly.
If you wish to bring your own choir, there will be a £150.00 fee.
If you require the bells, please let the church administrator know. You can have the bells rung at the beginning and
Please note weddings do not take place at St Alfege Church from 15 December until 5 January each year.
Planning your wedding service
You can find lots of helpful information provided by the Church of England about preparing for marriage here
. It can also answer many of your practical questions as well as providing ideas for readings and hymns.
Charges for weddings and marriage blessings
These fall into two categories: statutory fees required by the Church of England and charges for music etc which are at the discretion of the local church. Statutory fees do not apply to marriage blessings.
Statutory fees - from January 2016
Publication of banns of marriage: £29.00
Certificate of banns (if required): £14.00
Marriage service: £441.00
Marriage certificate: £4.00
Verger (including registers/certificate): £60.00
Choir of four experienced singers (£95 per chorister): £380.00
Permission to video: £150.00*
Bells to be rung after the wedding ceremony ONLY is £200. Bells to be rung before and after the wedding ceremony is £250.
*Note: an additional sum of £45.00 for the organist and £25.00 for each choir member must be paid under music copyright. This charge refers to any video recording, not just to professional recording.
We ask for a donation, if you are able to do so, of £250.00 towards the costs of heating, lighting, cleaning and upkeep of the historic fabric of this famous church. We ask you to Gift Aid this separately from the other charges. For every £100 you give, we can claim, as a charitable body, another £25 from the government in reclaimed tax. Cheques are to be made payable to St Alfege PCC.