We are recruiting Heritage Ambassador Volunteers
St Alfege Church is undertaking a major conservation project, Heart of Greenwich Place and People Project. Over the next 2 months scaffolding will be erected around the North and South elevations. The church will remain open every day from 11-4pm for visitors to come in and find out more about what we are doing and to engage with the history and the heritage of St. Alfege Church.
We need help with this communication and are looking for people to volunteer as Heritage Ambassadors to help us deliver these messages. If you enjoy meeting new people and are interested in learning more about St Alfege Church and the important part, it plays in the history of Greenwich we would love to hear from you. Shifts can be flexible to fit in with your needs. Please contact Anne Burton for more information and you can read the full role description here. firstname.lastname@example.org
St Alfege Church Volunteer Heritage Ambassador
The St Alfege Church Heart of Greenwich Place and People Project aims to create a step change in how audiences experience the heritage of St Alfege Church. The project aims to connect with local school children and their families, students, history, music and architecture enthusiasts, volunteers and visitors to the Maritime Greenwich World Heritage Site through a wide ranging programme of community engagement activity, new interpretation and events focusing on three interconnecting themes:
• Inspirational architecture – exploring and unlocking the architecture, design and craftsmanship of this beautiful building.
• An extraordinary cast of characters – revealing the stories of the many prominent people associated with the church and the site.
• The Big Picture – placing St Alfege at the heart of the wider cultural and social development in Greenwich over time.
The project will enable St Alfege Church to play its part fully in the story of Greenwich, reaching visitors to the area and in the wider community and taking its place as a heritage destination worth visiting in the World Heritage Site.
Heritage Ambassador Volunteers at the church will be at the heart of bringing the church’s heritage to life for the public and visiting groups.
The volunteer role
As a St Alfege Church Heritage Ambassador you will play a central role in helping people engage with and enjoy the heritage of the church and its place in the wider story of Greenwich. The kind of activities all volunteers will be involved in include:
• Welcoming the public.
• Supporting visitors in getting the most from heritage interpretation in the church.
• Answering visitor queries and providing quality customer service.
• Signposting visitors requiring pastoral support to the relevant sources of help and information.
• Ensuring heritage interpretation is kept to high standards of presentation and tidiness.
• Recording visitor numbers in the visitor record book.
• Reporting any serious issues, concerns, accidents and emergencies promptly.
• Recording personal hours of volunteering and passing these on to the church team.
• During quieter times helping with simple administrative tasks such as photocopying.
• Talking to visitors about the St Alfege Church Heart of Greenwich Place and People Project.
• Taking part in relevant training and championing an inclusive approach in all work.
Volunteers with more experience or looking for an additional challenge may take on additional tasks which might include:
• Engaging visitors in the architecture, characters and local history connections of the church to enhance their experience as visitors.
• Supporting the delivery of heritage engagement activity including public events and guided tours.
• Proactively offering information on the church’s history, promoting upcoming events and signposting other ways visitors can get more actively involved.
• Occasionally carrying out surveys and evaluation on and off site.
The support you’ll give us as a volunteer is of huge benefit to the project, and in turn we aim to make sure that you enjoy a valuable and memorable experience.
What we can offer you
• A friendly team led by the church’s Volunteer Development Manager.
• A chance to meet new people and make professional contacts.
• On the job training in public engagement and heritage interpretation.
• Expenses for travel to volunteer.
• Regular volunteer social and networking events.
• New experiences and an opportunity to give something back.
• Formal recognition of skills development to aid CV or job applications.
What we’re looking for
• Polite and friendly people over the age of 18.
• A welcoming approach to working alongside the public.
• An enthusiasm to develop knowledge of St Alfege Church and its heritage and share this in a positive and lively way.
• People who enjoy working as part of a small, dedicated team.
• A positive attitude and willingness to offer help throughout your volunteering shifts.
It would be great if you have some of the following qualities, skills and experience
• An interest in heritage, architecture, local history or the Greenwich Maritime World Heritage Site.
• Confidence and enthusiasm for speaking with members of the public.
• The ability to work as part of a team and be flexible.
Important information about volunteering at St Alfege Church
The project has a lot to achieve so to make scheduling as manageable as possible we ask volunteers to commit to at least 12 shifts over a 6 month period.
• Shifts will be flexible, but depending on when you indicate you are available to volunteer might include some weekend working.
• You will be expected to attend an induction training session.
• Training will also be embedded in the role, and you will work alongside the church team to ensure you feel confident in carrying out the tasks you are involved in.
How to apply Please email email@example.com