St Alfege is the Anglican parish church in the centre of Greenwich with a diverse congregation, a rich musical tradition and a thriving church school. There has been a church here for over a thousand years, dedicated to the memory of Alfege, the Archbishop of Canterbury who was martyred on this site in 1012.
Henry VIII was baptised here, and many other key historical figures in Greenwich’s royal, maritime and scientific history have close links with the site including Thomas Tallis, General James Wolfe and John Flamsteed.
A Grade 1 listed building, St Alfege is a key part of the Maritime Greenwich World Heritage Site. It was the first church built between 1712 and 1718 under the Fifty New Churches Act of 1711, and the first complete church project undertaken by Nicholas Hawksmoor, one of England’s most original and significant architects.
Heart of Greenwich - Place and People
In June 2016, St Alfege Church was awarded more than £150,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund to help us further develop our Heart of Greenwich project.
This scheme would open up the church’s ‘hidden spaces’, including its crypt, and put its rich history on display to visitors from across the world. Working with the university, as well as with the Royal Borough of Greenwich and local schools, the church seeks to recruit and train volunteer heritage ambassadors and provide a programme of related activities. Subject to a further successful bid for funding, the project will get under way in 2018 also aims to improve access to and facilities in the church and improve signage, landscaping and interpretation.
Reverend Chris Moody, Vicar of St Alfege said: “St Alfege is at the heart of Greenwich, and the current building holds the history of the Greenwich community as it has developed over the past thousand years. It’s great to know that we are a step closer to preserving it and making our history better known to young and old alike. Many thanks to our partners, and to the Heritage Lottery Fund, for helping us get this far.”